This article explains how to install and enable IIS7 Management Console. After you finish, you will be able to connect and manage delegated websites remotely, and securely over SSL. This allows you to modify some of the new IIS7 features that our HELM control panel is not yet programmed to control.
Here is what you will need:
- Windows Vista with Service Pack 1 (or higher)
1. To check if you have SP1, click the Start button, right click on the Computer button, and left click Properties.
To enable Internet Information 7 Management Console, click the Start button, click on Control Panel, click Programs > Click Programs and Features and finally click on Turn Windows features on or off.
You will need to make sure IIS Management Console is checked, and it will install it for you when you check it.
2. Now that you have that enabled, you can install the IIS manager from IIS.net by running the installer and following the prompts like any normal application installation.
3. Now open IIS Manager (Start > search IIS > open the manager).
To connect to a site, click File, then Connect to a Site.
4. For both the Server Name and the Site Name Enter the site domain name. On Server Name be sure to end it with a :8080
(for Webmatrix accounts, please use port 8172 instead)
5. When you click next, you may receive an SSL certificate error. This is normal and it will still be encrypted.
Now you've created the connection.
You now have IIS Management Console connected to your website.