You get the following error when you create the domain in the control panel after you upload .NET files to the website.
Webpsitepanel is ASP.NET driven and uploading a web.config file that is bad for any reason or not written for the version of ASP.NET currently configured in Web Site Settings will give you this error in the control panel for the site since it cannot load any settings for that site.
There are two resolutions for this error:
1) If you have Remote Desktop access to the server you can open IIS and change the application pool for the domain to use the correct version:
- Open IIS
- Click on the website in question
- When the site menu appears in IIS click on Basic Settings on the right
- Next to the Application Pool field click Select
- From the drop down menu that pops up select the correct version of ASP.NET and click OK until you close all the open dialog boxes
- Refresh your control panel. The error should have disappeared and you should see all your settings
2) If you do not have Remote Desktop access you can still fix this error. You'll need a backup of the web.config that was on the site when you created it in the control panel. If you don't have a copy of the web.config file that Websitepanel created you can copy the code below and save it to a separate web.config file and upload it to your wwwroot directory:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<directoryBrowse enabled="false" />
<add value="Default.aspx" />
<add value="index.php" />
<add value="Default.htm" />
<add value="Default.asp" />
<add value="index.htm" />
You will upload this default web.config into your wwwroot folder and refresh your control panel so that it works again. Change your ASP.NET version in the control panel and click Update:
You can now re-upload all of your site files and the control panel should be working correctly after.
If you have any questions feel free to contact our technical support team.